Friday, 21 June 2013

Happy Release Day - Cupcakes, Trinkets, and Other Deadly Magic by Meghan Ciana Doidge

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. 
Thanks to author Meghan Ciana Doidge.

If you’d asked me a week ago, I would have told you that the best cupcakes were dark chocolate with chocolate cream cheese icing, that dancing in a crowd of magic wielders — the Adept —  was better than sex, and that my life was peaceful and uneventful. Just the way I liked it. That’s what twenty-three years in the magical backwater of Vancouver will get you — a completely skewed sense of reality. Because when the dead werewolves started showing up, it all unraveled … except for the cupcake part. That’s a universal truth.

Genre: Urban Fantasy (Adult/New Adult)
Cover Artist: Irene Langholm

Release date: June 21 2013


Cupcakes, Trinkets, and Other Deadly Magic 

by Meghan Ciana Doidge

My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars


Cupcakes, Trinkets, and Other Deadly Magic(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to author Meghan Ciana Doidge.)
23-year-old Jade is half-witch/half-human, and runs a small cupcake bakery in Vancouver. Usually she’s busy dealing with customers who can’t get enough of her cupcakes, so when a vampire turns up at her door it is certainly unusual!

The vampire has an agenda though, it seems that two supernaturals have been murdered in the area, and both were found dead with one of the small trinkets that Jade hangs in the window of her bakery.

When it becomes clear that Jade isn’t the murderer, she’s instead tasked with tracking who the murderer is, even though that’s not something she’s ever done before, and something that’s far more difficult than her normal cupcake making activities.
Who is killing the supernaturals? Why are Jade’s trinkets turning up at the scene of the crime? And is Jade really the right person to be trying to track the murderer?


This was a fun, action filled urban fantasy that will also have you running to bake cupcakes!

Jade was a sweet girl, and having a vampire turn up on her doorstep was definitely a new one for her. She tried to keep herself safe though, whilst still trying to have a life which wasn’t an easy job.
I loved how devoted she was to her foster sister and her bakery though, and I would love to have been buying cupcakes from her! They sounded so good! Her passion for her bakery was something that was really evident though, and it was good to see this kind of love and devotion for her work.

I liked the storyline, it kinda reminded me of some of Keri Arthur’s books, and I loved the unpredictability of not knowing what would happen next. We met quite a few different supernaturals in this story, and it wasn’t easy to guess who the overall culprit was.
I totally loved the cupcake part of the story though. I was barely 2 pages into this before I found myself in the kitchen making cupcakes! Don’t read this if you’re on a diet! This really was a fun, action-filled, but sweet urban fantasy story, which would be perfect for a lighter sort of paranormal read.
Overall; I enjoyed this story, and I also enjoyed the cupcakes!
7 out of 10.



The Author -

Meghan Ciana Doidge



Meghan Ciana Doidge is an award-winning writer based out of Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. She has a penchant for bloody love stories, superheroes, and the supernatural. She also has a thing for chocolate, potatoes, and sock yarn. Her novels, After The Virus, Spirit Binder, and Time Walker, can be found in ebook and paperback format at all major online retailers. You can connect with Meghan on her personal blog, www.madebymeghan.ca, Facebook, or Twitter (as @mcdoidge).

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for reading and reviewing, Sarah!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You totally have me convinced to read this, seriously cupcakes and an paranormal type read... sold. I love Cozy mysteries but I long for something more so this is a nice mix and it is set not too far from where I live!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, I love the sound of this one. I don't like the cover so I would haven't even looks at this one twice without your review. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete